Today is World Nutella Day! Which means that I spent a good portion of my morning fantasizing about flaky crêpes filled with the rich, gooey, chocolate hazelnut spread and banana slices. I fell in love with that in France, and rarely have had the combination here in the States. Not that it’s hard to re-create, but there’s something about eating thin, messy pancakes while walking by l’Arc de Triomphe that just can’t be matched on this side of the Atlantic. The closest thing to the Eiffel Tower in this country can be found in the holy land known as Las Vegas at the Paris Hotel and Casino. It’s easier to find craps there than crêpes.
But here’s a little slice of Paris for you. Much easier to make than a crêpe, and almost as delicious: a Nutella and banana sandwich. I swear that me making this tonight has everything to do with it being World Nutella Day and absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I have 4 overly ripe bananas sitting on my kitchen counter right now.
Nutella and Banana Sandwich
2 slices of whole wheat bread
1 Tbsp. of butter
2 to 3 Tbsp. Nutella (or more…no one will know)
½ banana, sliced
1. Heat a pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray (or use butter). While heating, spread one side of each slice of bread with butter.
2. Carefully flip over one of the bread slices and spread Nutella on opposite side.
3. When pan is hot, place the bread with both butter and Nutella in the pan (butter side down).
4. Spread banana slices over the Nutella and top with the remaining slice of bread (leaving the butter side up).
5. Cook for 4 minutes until the bottom slice has browned to a nice golden color.
6. Flip carefully, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Remove from pan, slice in half, and enjoy with a big glass of milk.
Much cheaper than a flight to Paris.